Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Would He Know Of Your Love?

John 21:15-19

After Jesus'death on the cross,all of the disciples felt great sadness and loss,but I think Peter felt it most.He had promised Jesus He wouldn't deny Him and would even die with Him.Peter had failed miserably on both counts and then Jesus was crucified before he could even try to make things right.However,the disciples didn't seem to grasp that this wasn't the end until they saw Jesus risen from the dead.In this passage,Jesus is restoring Peter and giving him a second chance to not just say that he loved Him,but to show Him.Notice after each time Peter confirms his love for Jesus,Jesus gives him a command.
A couple years ago my grandma had a massive stroke and it looked like she would die.I prayed as hard as I could that God would breathe the life back into her and reverse the brain damage.All I could think of was how I was in such a hurry to leave after my last visit,that I didn't tell her I love her and give her a hug or kiss.God performed a miracle by breathing the life back into her and reversing the damage.It was truly amazing and I made a point,that before I leave from visiting her,I would tell her I love her and either hug and/or kiss her.Shortly before this past Thanksgiving Grandma had another massive stroke,which did great damage and she is now dying in a nursing home,unless God performs another huge miracle.Last Saturday we went to see her.Her mind and speech are terrible.There wasn't much she said that we could understand and I don't think there was much she understood of what we said.Several times I told her I loved her and kissed her forehead.After one of those times,she said as plain as day,"I know you do."
When a loved one is dying,how desperate we are to make sure they know we love them.How much more should we be striving to make sure that God knows of our love.If you were to die today or if the rapture would happen,would He know of your love?I'm not talking about just telling God we love Him,but also showing Him.It is so easy to say,"I love You",to God,and even people,but so much harder to show it.Love requires action.Often times we're like Peter was,promising God we'll remain true to Him and even follow Him to death,but then we fail.God is merciful,willing to restore us,and give us chances until we get it right.However,when we fail,we need to go to Him for restoration and another chance,not be like Judas Iscariot,who killed himself after failing (Matt 27:3-5).No one is a failure unless they stay down after failing.
Though life on this earth will not last forever.When we reach the end,will He know of our love or will we be cast off like Judas?Even chances will have to come to an end.It is so important that we make it a point that He knows of our love by telling and showing Him each and every day.That way when we reach the end and say to Him,"I love You",He'll reply,"I know you do."

"If you love Me,keep My commandments." John 14:15
"Jesus said to him," 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart,with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and great commandment.And the second is like it.'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Matt.22:37-40

No comments: